The award winning Irish Maritime Festival returns to Drogheda on Saturday the 16th and Sunday the 17th of June, between the hours of 11am and 6pm.
The festival is the largest maritime event in Ireland, with 40,000 visitors attending annually, and each year volunteers from across County Louth play an essential role in supporting this exciting event.
What Volunteer Roles are Available?
Volunteers are needed on both the Saturday and the Sunday, for any hours that they are able to contribute, in one of the following areas:
- Taking tickets at the gate
- Handing out brochures
- Helping visitors climb aboard ships
- Assisting families and kids in the activity areas
- Supporting activities in the food area
- Welcoming competitors from the Boyne swim competition
Volunteers will be matched with the role they are most interested in, or have specific skills for, as much as possible.
Support for Volunteers
All volunteers will be supported by the project team, and volunteers will work together, to assist each other in a positive environment.
Specific support is also available for volunteers with physical, sensory, learning or mental health disabilities or difficulties.
Benefits of Volunteering at the Maritime Festival
In addition to the ‘feel good factor’ of getting out in the warmer weather and doing something positive in the local community, volunteers will get a chance to:
- See the visiting tall ships up close - these include the iconic Earl of Pembroke, a working wooden sailing ship with a three-masted rig.
- Listen to the live music that will be playing all weekend, on the Ballast Quay Stage
- Soak up the atmosphere of ships, sailing, swimming and local cuisine in a friendly atmosphere
How Can I Get Involved?
If you are already registered with Louth Volunteer Centre, you can register your interest for this role on our website by clicking on the link at the top of our homepage, or going to our registration page.
If you haven’t registered with us yet, or are new to volunteering and are unsure about how it works, please get in touch with one of our friendly team. You can do this by:
- Phoning our office on: 041 980 9008
- Dropping in for a friendly chat at our Drogheda Office (The Old Motor Tax Office, Bolton Street), or our Dundalk Office (Crowe Street, Town Hall).