Volunteer Now, the organisation that provides regional and local leadership to volunteering in Northern Ireland, is hosting a one day international conference. “Surfing the Silver Wave, exploring Civic Engagement and Wellbeing in an ageing society” will
- Present alternatives to turn the challenge of an ageing population into opportunities for communities.
- Encourage organisations from all sectors to see the positive opportunities for community participation offered by increasing numbers of people, often highly skilled, moving into retirement.
- Promote employee involvement in volunteering both pre and post retirement.
- Inform policy makers as well as health and social care providers of the positive impact of volunteering on the health of older people.
- Explore different methods of service delivery, income generation, and sustainability through initiatives such as Time Banking and Social Enterprise.
Speakers confirmed include:
- Dr Virpi Timonen, Director of SPARC (Social Policy and Ageing Research Centre) Trinity College, Dublin.
- Lester Strong, CEO of Experience Corps (USA), an organisation that places older volunteers as mentors within schools. -
- Barbara Huston, President, Partners in Care (USA), a time banking project that enables older people to “age in place.”
Delegate Fee: £70.00 inc vat per person which includes all conference papers, refreshments and lunch.
Date Thursday 24th March 2011 Time 08:30 - 16:30 Venue Park Avenue Hotel 158 Holywood Road Belfast BT4 1PB Cost £70.00